Garland A. Kelley is a securities litigator, chair of the Securities Litigation Practice, and the firm’s crisis manager. Clients engage Garland for critical matters – complex business disputes, strategic corporate needs for Directors and Executives, and high-profile or highly-publicized matters where reaching the right result matters.
Benchmark Litigation ranks Garland as a National Practice Area Star and a California Litigation Star, and LawDragon named him one of the 500 Leading Lawyers in America (2022).
Garland began his practice at Cravath, Swaine & Moore in New York, and later practiced at Irell & Manella and Glaser Weil in Los Angeles. He specializes in securities litigation (including class action and derivative matters, shareholder and director-related litigation and SEC-related matters), complex business disputes, corporate investigations, and transnational matters.
- Lead Attorney for Papa John, in litigation in New York, Delaware and Kentucky. Obtained victory in Delaware Chancery Court, in which the Chancellor of Delaware, after a full trial, ruled in our favor and expanded Delaware law in meaningful ways. So successful was this victory that Benchmark Litigation awarded it an “Impact Case of the Year.” See more here.
- Obtained complete dismissal of the federal securities class action Danker, et al. v. Papa John’s International, Inc., et al. in the Southern District of New York at the motion to dismiss stage.
- Lead Attorney for the NMC Investigation in the United Arab Emirates, on behalf of a Special Committee of Board Directors, which discovered significant fraud at NMC Health plc, based in Abu Dhabi and (until then) traded on the London Stock Exchange. The NMC investigation revealed mismanagement so broad that it may stretch more broadly throughout the region, into Europe, and relate to some of the most prestigious and established firms in the world. See more here.
In these and other high-profile matters, Garland works with numerous leading law firms, PR firms, and investment bankers throughout the United States and globally.
- Columbia Law School New York City, J.D., 1999
- Claremont Graduate School, California, M.A., Philosophy, 1996
- Rice University, Texas, B.A., Philosophy and History, 1985