Garland A. Kelley
Clients engage Mr. Kelley for critical matters – complex business disputes, strategic corporate needs for Directors and Executives, high-profile or highly-publicized matters, and bet-the-company litigation, where shaping the crisis to the law and reaching the right result matters.
Benchmark Litigation ranks Garland Kelley as a National Practice Area Star and a California Litigation Star, and LawDragon named him one of the 500 Leading Lawyers in America for 2022.
Mr. Kelley began his practice at Cravath, Swaine & Moore in New York City, and later practiced at Irell & Manella and Glaser Weil in Los Angeles. He specializes in securities litigation (including class action and derivative matters, shareholder and director-related litigation and SEC-related matters), complex business disputes, corporate investigations, and transnational matters. Recent matters include:
- Lead Attorney for Papa John, in litigation in New York, Delaware and Kentucky. Obtained victory in Delaware Chancery Court, in which the Chancellor of Delaware, after a full trial, ruled in our favor and expanded Delaware law in meaningful ways. So successful was this victory that Benchmark Litigation awarded it an “Impact Case of the Year.” See more here.
- Obtained complete dismissal of the federal securities class action Danker, et al. v. Papa John’s International, Inc., et al. in the Southern District of New York at the motion to dismiss stage.
- Lead Attorney for the NMC Investigation in the United Arab Emirates, on behalf of a Special Committee of Board Directors, which discovered significant fraud at NMC Health plc, based in Abu Dhabi and (until then) traded on the London Stock Exchange. The NMC investigation revealed mismanagement so broad that it may stretch more broadly throughout the region, into Europe, and relate to some of the most prestigious and established firms in the world. See more here.
In these and other high-profile matters, Mr. Kelley works with numerous leading law firms, PR firms, and investment bankers throughout the United States.
- J.D., Columbia School of Law (New York City)
- M.A., Claremont Graduate School (Los Angeles)
- B.A., Rice University (Houston)
- New York, 2000
- California, 2003
- Texas, 2022