Mark Nawfal represents clients in domestic and cross border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures. He assists multinational clients with restructuring, including spinoffs, inversions, and split-offs with emphasis on tax efficiency. Advises multiple foreign businesses on optimal way to acquire US entities or start new US business division. Prepares private placement memorandums, proxy statements and advise clients on required disclosures related to SEC regulations. Negotiates commercial contracts in energy, manufacturing, consulting, retail and other industries. Advises on compliance with Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and compliance with US sanctions, and represent SDN listed entities before OFAC. Advises individuals and businesses on complex tax related matters. Represents clients in oil and gas projects domestically and abroad. Advises domestic clients on structuring joint ventures with foreign partners and establishing businesses abroad, including bidding for government contracts. Habitually works with local counsel in Latin America, Europe and Middle East.
- LLM, International Taxation, Georgetown University Law Center
- LLM, Global Energy and International Arbitration, University of Texas at Austin School of Law
- D., Northeastern University School of Law
- A., Tufts University
- New York
- IR Global Rising Star, 2019
- Represented NASDAQ purchaser in $1 billion acquisition of two oil field service companies in MENA region.
- Represented US client in joint venture with Saudi entity to build manufacturing facility for DRA products for sale to Saudi Aramco and regional oil companies.
- Represent SDN listed individuals and entities for removal from SDN list before OFAC, Department of Treasury.
- Advise Italian multinational on spinoff of US division.
- Advise US subsidiary in spinoff from Mexican parent.
- Represented Bulgarian entity owning largest oil and gas concession in Europe in developing tax efficient ownership structure to be headed by US parent.
- Advise French, US and Indian companies on compliance with Iran, Venezuela, Russian and Syria sanctions.
- Advise clients on compliance with tax reporting requirements for international ownership and international transactions.
- Advise Legionaries of Christ on restructure of domestic assets nationwide.
- Involved in sale of a worldwide subsidiary of Boston Scientific.
- Involved in sale of worldwide subsidiary of Mitsubishi
- Participate in Lebanon International Oil and Gas Summit, organized by the Ministry of Energy.
- Advised Norton Rose Fulbright on petroleum regulations in Lebanon issued by the Petroleum Administration.
- Handled procedures for removing entities from the EPLS (Excluded Parties List System), including research of Federal Acquisition Regulation and Defense Logistics Agency regulation. Analyzed causes of action against the US government under the WTO regime and GATT regime.
- Advised management on amendments to policy guidelines to avoid exposure under Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the UK Bribery Act.
- On behalf of logistics company, negotiated directly with the United Nations World Food Program for revisions to agreement for worldwide ground intervention support (Logistics Emergency Team Deployment Agreement).
- Led a team in representing Agility Logistics, largest logistics company in the Middle East and fifth worldwide, in partnership with German company ALBA Recycling Group GmbH, in negotiations directly with the Minister of Environment of Lebanon for construction of waste to energy power plant and for the handling of the collection and disposal of Lebanon’s medical hazardous waste.
- Submitted bid with Kuwait National Petroleum Company for freight forwarding, custom clearance and transportation services.
- Incorporated investors into a Middle East company servicing U.S. State Department contracts in the Middle East.
- Drafted Joint Venture between multinational bed and furniture manufacturers for the production of mattresses in Saudi Arabia.
- On behalf of client real estate developer, outlined a corporate structure to maximize participation and limit tax exposure by foreign investor in light of restrictions by Lebanese law on foreign ownership of land.
- Representation of the largest shopping mall in Lebanon – ABC sal.
- Conducted due diligence on acquisition by Mitsubishi of outstanding shares in its subsidiaries in Middle East.
- Drafted agreements between United Nations and G4S, largest security firm in the world, for construction of security facilities at UN headquarters in Beirut.
- Negotiated management agreement on behalf of United Projects for Aviation Services Company and National Aviation Services for operation of a new terminal at Kuwait International Airport.
- Advised on freight forwarding contracts for clients in Middle East and Africa.
- Negotiated advisory agreements for financial evaluation of large Kuwaiti investment fund and multiple subsidiaries.
- Revised contracts for the sale of surgical and hospital equipment in the Middle East.
- Represented multinational telecommunications firm in licensing and service contracts for Middle East and North Africa.