Emile practices in the area of oil and gas and general business transactions and litigation. His transactional experience includes drafting, negotiating and managing a range of business and commercial agreements, including business services agreements, purchase orders, non-disclosure agreements and terms and conditions. He also has extensive experience with all varieties of E&P contracts and oilfield service agreements, including drilling contracts, master service agreements, time charters and related maritime support contracts. Emile also routinely counsels clients on methods to minimize and allocate liability through select contractual provisions and insurance.
On the litigation side, Emile has represented clients in tort, indemnity and other contract and commercial disputes, prosecuted claims on behalf of companies against insurers in property and liability coverage disputes, and defended companies against property damage and contamination (legacy lawsuits) claims. He has also litigated matters involving key aspects of joint operating agreements and handles disputes between joint
J.D., Loyola University College of Law (New Orleans), 2005
- Loyola Law Review (2003-2005)
- Loyola Moot Court (Member 2003-2005)
B.B.A., Economics, Loyola University New Orleans, 2002
- Top of Class Graduate
- Loyola University Honors Curriculum
- U. S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- U. S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
- U. S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- U. S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Draft and negotiate master service agreements, drilling contracts and other maritime and
oilfield service contracts.
- Represent companies in lawsuits involving contractual indemnity and other general
- Revamped and streamlined large energy company’s master contracts and risk management
program and engaged in day-to-day negotiation and administration of contracts with vendors
- Negotiated key acquisition agreement on behalf of hospital to acquire land for construction of
- Conducted legal due diligence for client’s offer to purchase Louisiana LNG operation.
- Assisted legal team in major due diligence review for client’s multimillion-dollar oil and gas
- Representation of oil and gas company in defense of maritime lien claim against company’s
offshore floating production facility located on the Outer Continental Shelf
- Representation of industry clients (oil and gas associations) in filing amicus briefs relating to
pressing issues before the Louisiana Supreme Court.
- Representation of oil and gas companies in contractual disputes with co-working interest
- Advise clients on Louisiana and Texas anti-indemnity statutes.
- Representation of oil and gas and oilfield service companies in filing, enforcing and
defending liens and claims arising under Louisiana’s Oil Well Lien Act.
- Representation of oil and gas operators in civil penalty proceedings pertaining to
noncompliance violations instituted by the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM).
- Representation of companies in insurance coverage disputes.
- Representation of oil and gas companies in legacy/contamination lawsuits.
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEECHES
- “An Overview of the Recent Growing Opposition to Offshore Fracking.” Lafayette
Association of Professional Landman, August 2017 (publication pending).
- “I’m Not My Lessor’s Keeper! Louisiana Supreme Court Declines to Expand a Mineral
Lessor’s Duty to its Lessee.” AAPL’s Landman Magazine, March/April 2016.
- “Am I My Lessor’s Keeper? Louisiana Second Circuit Places New Duties on Mineral
Lessees.” AAPL’s Landman Magazine, March/April 2015.
- “The Expansion of OCSLA to Offshore Indemnity Agreements.” ABA Section of Energy
Litigation, summer, Vol. 11, No. 3, 2012.
- Dreuil, Emile (and co-authors), 2003. “The Trade Gap: The Fallacy of Anti World-Trade
Sentiment.” Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 45, 2003, pp. 269-281.
- “Drilling Contracts, Legal Risk Allocation in Offshore Drilling Contracts,” presented at EUCI
Seminar on Offshore Contracts, May 21, 2014.
- Offshore Liens,” presented at the LORMAN Emerging Louisiana Legal and Land Issues on
the Outer Continental Shelf Seminar, March 18, 2014.
- “Maritime Liens for Oilfield Services,” presented at PLANO Executive Night Seminar, April