Holly Thompson’s practice focuses on oil and gas litigation and transactions. In her litigation practice, she assists clients with contractual disputes in the energy industry at both the trial and appellate level and has served as special counsel in several oil and gas bankruptcies. Holly has represented banks in the preservation of interests in oil and gas properties and oil and gas clients in disputes regarding production handling agreements, marketing agreements and master service agreements, as well as oil and gas clients seeking coverage and reimbursement from insurance carriers.
In her transactional practice, Holly enjoys assists clients in the energy industry in various aspects of their businesses. She primarily advises companies in acquisitions and divestitures, contracts, offshore oil and gas title, oil and gas financings, and mortgages. She also represents clients in regulatory matters involving BOEM/BSEE, the Louisiana Mineral and Energy Board and the Louisiana Office of Conservation.
- J.D., Loyola University College of Law (New Orleans) 2007
- Loyola Law Review Member
- William Crowe Scholar
- B.A., Louisiana State University, 2003
- Representation of Taylor Energy Company, LLC in its lawsuit against its underwriters for coverage and reimbursement in relation to damages sustained on Mississippi Canyon Block 20 (Taylor Energy Company, LLC v. Certain Underwriters, Case No. 09-6383, USDC EDLA).
- Representation of Chapter 11 debtors-in-possession, official committees, as special counsel to advise such entities and their primary bankruptcy counsel on mineral law issues and how to successfully navigate through Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 proceedings while remaining in compliance with the rules and regulations of the BOEM/BSEE, the Louisiana Office of Conservation, and the Louisiana State Mineral and Energy Board. Representative proceedings include In re: Virgin Oil, Inc. Case No. 09-11899, USBC EDLA; In re: Pisces Energy LLC, et al; Case No: 09-36591, USBC SDTX; In re: Harvest Oil & Gas, LLC, et al; 09-50397, USBC WDLA; In re: Energy Partners, Ltd., et al; Case No. 09-32957, USBC SDTX; In re Tri-Union Development Corporation, Case No. 03-44908, USBC SDTX (post confirmation).
- Representation of Palm Energy Offshore, LLC in a contractual dispute in the USDC EDLA Case No. 10-4151 and the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Case went to trial and presently on appeal.
- Representation of Saratoga Resources, Inc. in a contractual dispute arising out of an adversary proceeding in the USBC WDLA, withdrawn to the USDC WDLA. Case went to trial and currently awaiting judgment.
- Representation of Palm Energy Offshore, LLC in a PHA contractual dispute in Louisiana state court. Case went to trial and currently awaiting judgment.
- Representation of companies in proceedings before the Louisiana State Mineral and Energy Board and the Louisiana Office of Conservation in a variety of matters.
- Representation of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. in Lafayette Parish, Louisiana and the Louisiana Third Circuit Court of Appeals to protect interests in oil and gas properties.
- Representation of oil and gas clients in the negotiation and drafting of various contracts.
- Representation of oil and gas clients in the acquisition and divestiture of oil and gas properties.
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Professional Landmen’s Association of New Orleans
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Women’s Energy Network
Honors and Speeches
- Selected as a Louisiana Super Lawyer – Rising Star (2014) (Thomson Reuters)
- Offshore Purchase and Sale Agreements, presented at the EUCI Offshore Contracts Seminar, May 2014